Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Live Life: post 92 The Truth: Depression is Real

Post 92- The truth of the matter: Depression



I want to speak the truth on some things and so this is kind of a continuation from my past two post. . .

Truth #1  Life is not always easy.


I felt like I had to be very abrupt in the title and in the language  of my last two post in order to make a point.  The title of the past two posts were "My life Sucks," and "Sin, this is why your life sucks."  These titles were not meant to offend or condemn anyone.  Instead they were meant to let people know that they are not alone in this world.

Life is not always easy!


Anyone that says that it is, is lying.  Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snap Chat, Google+, or what ever other social media platform that you indulge in are all facades of the truth.  No body is perfect except for Jesus.  Let's get real people, let's stop faking the funk .  . .

To all the fake people:

"I know you'd like to think your **** don't stank but lean a little closer, see,  roses really smell like boo- boo- oo oo" (Outcast)

This is a problem because we are comparing ourselves with false notions of happiness.  Therefore we think we know what we need to aim for in order to be happy, but once we get there, we are still left unfulfilled. (see "Sin, this is why your life sucks")

The last two post were just meant to open up this conversation about feeling depressed and why it happens to us . . .

Who ever this is for, you are not alone.  It will get better for you.



Truth #2  Depression is real.


So this is a Christian blog and I claim myself to be a born again believer, and I am going to tell you like this:  I suffer from depression.  As a creative person I have always been very sensitive, and very tempermental.  Therefore there are days that I do not want to get out of the bed.  There are days that I just cry and cry and I don't want to be bothered.

I asked God, what is this?  What is going on with me.  I claim out loud, "I am blessed and highly favored, I'm above and not beneath!!  Why do I feel like this!!!  I have things to do, I have to get up!!" but I never do.

I pray, I try to read my word, and it was not until recently that God changed my perspective on the whole situation.  Feeling depressed is not necessarily a bad thing, but instead a warning sign that something is wrong.  Instead of trying to explain these feelings away, trying to motivate yourself out of them or trying to throw medication at these types of things; perhaps we should start asking ourselves "what is the real problem here,"  or better yet, "God, what are you telling me is the problem and how do I fix it?"

The Christian community often frowns upon these types of feelings and I know that I have been very hurt by some of the things preached in church about depression.  There is a stigma about depression in church.  "If you are depressed, then you really aren't saved . . ." and "you shouldn't let the world in your business." (referring to seeking psychiatric counseling).

This just isn't true. . .

For all of you who are suffering with this, I want to let you know that Elijah was so depressed at a point that he wanted to kill himself.  David suffered with depression through out the whole book of Psalms and constantly cried out to the Lord when he felt lonely.  There are many examples in the bible of people feeling like there was no hope, no way out, and no way through.  But God wants you to know, that he has a plan for you.  He wants you to know that although you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, not to fear evil, because the he is with you, to protect you and to guide you through.

Here goes the thing that needs to be said:  Killing yourself is never, NEVER the answer.

I was watching the movie Mrs. Doubtfire, starring Robin Williams, with my mother in law today and we both were laughing because it was so funny.  Then we both shook our heads and said "What a shame, what a loss of talent."  My Mother in-law asked "Why didn't he just get the help that he needed with all the help there is out there?" 

We don't know what happened to Robin Williams, what he was thinking or what he was going through.  But for everything that seemed to be going well for him, something was going horribly wrong.

Let us pray for one another, encouraging one another and letting each other know that each of us is important to God.  Let us be truthful with ourselves and others that things are not always good, but we do struggle sometimes.  Perhaps it is you that will help lift someone else up by sharing your testimony of triumph over depression.

You are not alone.  I want to share some things that I find on depression this week to help you with this struggle.  God knows the answer to all things, so I am going to continue to pray on this this week in order to share some answers with you.

This is the truth of the matter.  We need to get through this depression so that we can get closer to our purpose.  May God be with you through it all.

Until next Time
-Tamorra



No comments:

Post a Comment