Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Live Life Day 40: 8 ways to fight that feeling of anxiety- #4

Day 40 quote "Shoot for the moon and if you fall short you'll still be a star"

Scripture "Obedience is better than sacrifice." I Samuel 15:22

8 ways to fight that feeling of anxiety . . . # 4

#4 Learn how to say NO!


#4 I'm usually the yes girl.  You ask me for a favor, and although I don't have the time to do it, I will say yes.  Usually I would just gripe about it in the confines of my own mental unhappiness, but today I am going to vent.  I am completely tired of being taking advantage of!

This past week was ridiculous.  I had everybody asking me for a favor and I was committing myself to a different obligation each day.  None of these commitments had anything to do with what I had to do for myself.  I had important things that I had to accomplish for God, my family, the youth ministry etc. . . I could not do any of these things because I was afraid of what someone might think of me if I said no to their request.  So I said yes, and I became burned out.

God doesn't want us to feel overwhelmed. 

God doesn't want us to be taken advantage of.


God directed me to I Samuel, where Saul was instructed to kill the Amalekites and everything in the land.  Instead Saul spared their king, Agag, and he let the people keep the best of the sheep, oxen and other livestock.  Now usually after a war the winner would collect the spoils of the war.  However, God's instruction to Saul was to kill everything because everything in the land was evil.

So, King Saul went against the Lord's directions that were directly given to him by the prophet Samuel.  Saul did his own thing. Saul claimed it was a sacrifice for the Lord, but Samuel told Saul that the Lord was displeased with his disobedience.  Here is the clincher,  Saul said that it was the people who disobeyed.  He said the people started taking the best of the livestock and he was afraid to tell them no. 
 
"Hath the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice and to hearken than the fat of the rams . . ."  I Samuel 15:22

Putting God first is for our own good.


I used to think that it was my Christian duty to be of service to others.  It makes me feel good inside to help others when they are in need.  It is a good thing to help others, especially when  God places it on your heart to do so;  but if God set you on a mission to do something for him and you don't do it, then be ready to reap the consequences. It is better to listen to the voice of the Lord than to think you are doing him a favor by doing something else.

It is Ok to tell people no.  Like my Mentor Asha Tyson always says "no, is a one word sentence!"

We have to remember a surrendered life means you do what the Lord says do when he says do it.  Anything that goes against that is not of the Lord.


I hope this was helpful in your journey.  Check in tomorrow for #'s 5-7
Until Next Time
-Tamorra


No comments:

Post a Comment