Friday, May 15, 2020

day 46- Wisdom

This is what I know about Wisdom . . .

It is good to love it and I love it.  But I think I grasped a different definition of Wisdom this morning. . .

I have been reading proverbs which is basically the go to book for wisdom.  Isn't it interesting that there isn't just one definition of what wisdom is, but it is talked about, contrasted with foolishness, and expounded upon with stories and examples:

Th fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom . . .

In my youth I always thought this to mean that we need to give reverence and respect to God or else. But As I grew to know the Lord a little better, I knew it to mean that the respect of the word of God (The law of God) is the beginning of Wisdom.  When we are talking about the Law, we are talking about the natural order of things.  The law of cause and effect, the law gravity, the law of energy, the law of expectancy, the law of love, the law of forgiveness, the law of giving, the law of sowing and reaping; so on and so forth.  People may think that they have discovered these things, but it is God who allows us to discover these things which leads us to the greatest and ultimate law of all:  God made everything and everything in this earth is his and the fullness thereof; which means that God is in total control.  If God is indeed in total control, then he created the law to work according to his purpose, so, all things work together according to his purpose.  Hence, there are just somethings that we don't have to figure out.

However, there are things that are pertaining to our survival that we should figure out.  The search for these answers are wisdom.  Now here is something that I learned this morning:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom
The fear of the Lord is instruction of Wisdom; and before honor is humility
Therefore, the instruction of wisdom is the beginning of Wisdom
Wisdom is the willingness to see that we are wrong about so many things in this life.  We think we figure things out but without the knowledge of the word of God, we do not know anything . . .
Therefore, the ways of a man is always right in his own eyes, but the Lord weigheth the spirits, which brings us full circle to the understanding that God is in control of everything (see Proverbs 15:31-33 and 16:2)

What does this mean exactly?

This means true Wisdom is the ability to hear the correction of the Holy Spirit, to turn from the wrong ways of thinking to the righteous way of thinking.  How can we find this way?  There is only one way, God's way; through the shed blood of his son Jesus Christ!  It all makes sensee to me.  Wisdom is knowing Jesus.  Wisdom is accepting the gift of salvation through Jesus.  Wisdom is believing.  Wisdom is following the direction of the Lord (The Law, The word).  Wisdom, my friends, is listening to and believing in the instruction from the Holy Spirit.

So, how can we apply this to our lives?  We have to humble ourselves to the point of understanding that we do not know everything, but we are going to trust in God's way.  Humility is a necessary ingredient to salvation.  Sometimes we have to be broken in order to ask for the help we need from the son.  It only takes a simple prayer:

Lord I am weak
and I don't know as much as I think I know
Help me find the way
Help me to accept your gift of salvation
I am willing to believe that Jesus Christ died for my wrong thinking
Even if it doesn't make sense  to me right now
I believe
Help my unbelief



Humility-Belief-Wisdom-Honor

No comments:

Post a Comment