Monday, September 11, 2017

Motivation for Monday- God is Good- What is the underground Church?



My friend just texted me a "Happy Monday."  It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I thought . . . I usually am the one who sends her the "Happy Monday" texts.  Then I thought again and remembered that it was another one of my friends years ago that used to text me Happy Monday, Happy Tuesday, Happy Wednesday etc. . . . So I guess my point is that motivation is contagious . . . There is a good feeling that we get when we share our happy thoughts with others . . . hence I want to share this observation with you. . .

"God is good all the time!"

Yes, we may know it but now it is time to share it with someone else!


Let me share this story with you real quick:

This past Saturday I went to prayer at my Dad's house.  This is something that we do every Saturday.  We come together as a family and we have a group discussion and study about the word of God.  It really isn't a new concept.  My dad has been running service from the house since the late 90's.  It was however interesting that my uncle brought over an article that he had found in the Philadelphia Inquire last week  about the rise of the 'house church."

In the article, the author spoke about a small congregation calling themselves the "Meeting House." The author spoke about the structure of such meetings.  The writer also talked about the atmosphere of thus said church and others like it.  In short, it claimed that these type of churches went against the established hierarchy and authority of many established Church traditions found in the United States.   It really presented the idea as a "new church movement."

However, I don't think of this as a new idea at all.  Especially since my perspective is that these "house churches" is what I have been accustomed to most of my life.  Yes, I have a church home that I attend every Sunday, but my regular church going is in addition to the bible discussions I attend at my father's house.  Each atmosphere different, and each holding its purpose.  

Furthermore, I would like to bring to everyone's attention that this is how the first Christian churches were started.  Christians would meet together in small groups at someone's home.  They would sit down and talk about Jesus, his teachings, about the Torah and about how it all related to each other.  They would talk, pray, eat, and sing together.  Others who attended these such meetings would record the stories.  The early Christians would pass these writings along and share in these "house churches,"  which soon became "underground churches."  

Why did churches have to become underground?


We know that there was a time after Jesus's death that still many have not heard the good news of the gospel that he taught.  So, the word started to spread by people talking about it.  However,  these Christian ideas were spreading too big, and too fast, and the government was losing control.  Yes these types of Christian Church meetings had to be destroyed because it jeopardized the authority of the Roman pagan cultural system to which many lived by.  The persecution of the Christians had to happen because the 'authorities" would not like the potential anarchy of such teachings like "love thy neighbor, as you would yourself."   These types of positive displays of love meant the fall of a self-gain system and the destruction of  self-service attitudes. 

This type of persecution of the "Real Christians" have been happening since the death of Jesus Christ.  I will digress in order to say not to worry . . .

The motivation is that 

God is Good all the time, all the time God is Good!


I know, not much motivation in this post yet, especially if you notice the parallels of the beginning Christian Church, and the so called rise of the "underground church movement," just now becoming known in the United States as something to be aware of.  My friends, I want everyone to be made aware that the persecution is constant and perpetual and we should pray for our brothers and sisters being persecuted around the world for their belief in Jesus Christ.

After you pray, thank God for the freedoms that we posses in this country to believe what we were gifted to believe.  There is a time coming where you will have to die for what you believe.  I pray that your mind is saved from the capitalistic system that we are living in today. Come out of it and chose to give your life to Jesus.



Ok, here is some motivation.  I found a video about the underground Christian church in China.  They are praising Jesus for saving them.  They meet in caves because they have to hide their faith from their communist government.  If they are caught worshiping Christ, it is an offense punishable by death.  Pray for them that they continue to find resources to continue to hear the word of God.

My father in law gave me a book about the persecutions of believers of the faith.  These stories are from different perspectives from around the world.  It is a powerful book following the stories of Christian women proclaiming their faith, being sent to jail for their faith, witnessing murders, and experiences other tremendous anguishes for spreading the word of Jesus.

It is called "Hearts of Fire," by the voice of the martyrs.  Worthy read, so check it out.  Perhaps I will do a book review at another time.


Keep praying.  Stay motivated and inspired to live for Jesus.  This is a part of your purpose.  Bless you always and remember God is Good all the time, and all the time God is Good.

Until next time

No comments:

Post a Comment